- 1 whole goose, 8-10 pounds
- 1 pound mixed yellow and red onions, whole and unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4 cups breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 cups mixed dried apples, figs, and cherries
- 2 tablspoons fresh sage, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 pound Italian sausage, browned and crumbled
- 1/4 cup apple brandy
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 375. Roast onions in a shallow pan about 30 minutes, until tender. Set aside to cool, then peel and chop. Lower oven to 350.
Soak breadcrumbs in warmed milk until soft. Squeeze dry and set aside.
In a large bowl comine the breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, dried fruit, herbs, nuts, celery, and sausage. Season with salt and pepper. Stuff goose and tie cavity closed with butcher’s twine.
Place goose on a rack in a roasting pan and roast until juices run clear and internal temperature is 165-175, about 3 hours.
Remove goose from pan and skim fat from drippings. Deglaze pan with brandy and serve.