- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red, 1 green, and 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 eggplant, cut into approx. 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 zucchini, cut into approx. 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Prepare all ingredients, and heat the olive oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, as the onions become translucent. Then add the eggplant and cook until it starts to soften, followed by the zucchini, about 5-6 minutes for each. Stir in the garlic and tomatoes and cook for about 3-4 minutes longer. Add the thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, about 40 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through. Stir in the fresh basil and serve.